Sunday, June 15, 2008

Karma Can Be a...

For the past four days, I've been down in Orange County living large with Dan's family. This forced vacation has been great because I haven't been able to work a second and managed to ride over 85 miles. However, the real highlight of this trip was the fact that I was able to accomplish a major goal I set for myself. A couple of entries ago I discussed the disappointment I felt in myself for not being able to properly flip someone off while riding my bike. I then set myself a goal that the next time a motorist harassed me I would properly give them the bird.

So, on Friday I was riding along the beach, listening to my Ipod, minding my own business when a van passed by full of high school boys. As they rode by one stuck his head out the window and yelled...(Okay to be honest, I don't have a clue what he said, but I'm sure he was trying to be funny and yelled out something derogatory - Or at least, I hope that's what he did because, without even thinking, I looked up at him and gave him my best middle finger. Now looking back I fear I might have been a little too overzealous to accomplish my goal. For all I know he might have been yelling, "Hey, watch out there's a murderer behind you!" "Hey, you look like a great rider!" "Hey, I hope you are having a great day!" At any rate, I did it. Someone yelled and I flashed them my best finger. Mission accomplished.

The only problem from this was that as soon as I gave him the finger my confidence started to waver. I'll admit it's fun to give the finger and then drive off in the opposite direction, or jump on a plane. It's another thing to give the finger and then continue in the same direction as the person you just flipped off. For the next ten miles I kept waiting to see some van pulled over to the side and a bunch of high school students, with brass knuckles and baseball bats, waiting for me. Fortunately, nothing of the sort happened, but the following day karma cashed in its chips.

While riding again, in the same spot as the previous day, Dan and I went to make a left hand turn through a busy intersection. Because I love my husband, and I promised not to say anything, "something" happened and while muttering a choice word I went straight down. As I laid there, still clipped into my bike and praying that on-coming traffic would notice my mangled body, I had a thought. Accomplishing goals are very important, but I think I might be giving the finger a rest. I don't think I can handle the universe's response.

No comments: