Thursday, June 26, 2008

My Ordinary Friend


So, last year I had this teammate who was dating Aaron Eckhart. Mr. Eckhart (some fun facts for you) used to be Mormon, was in my brother's mission, starred in one of my favorite movies of all time, Godly Sorrows, left the church, starred in Erin Brockovich, Thank You for Smoking and the new Batman movie. This guy is a big time actor, and how did I find out my friend was dating him? Oh, you know, saw her at the Golden Globes with him.

Anyway, because I have no pride, I called her up and said, "Um, Ash, are you dating a movie star?" She, having more class than I do, nonchalantly said yes, and then said that she was coming to LA to visit him and wanted to know if we wanted to get together for dinner. Dinner with an old teammate? Uh, yeah sounds great. Dinner with a freaking movie star? Tell me where.

We ended up going to this awesome restaurant and the entire night I kept wanting to ask him one question. No, not what is Julia Roberts like, or how much money he's worth. But, I wanted to know what was the sin that caused them to call off their temple marriage in Godly Sorrows. As missionaries we always speculated, but never knew.

Anyway, now a year later, my friend is no longer dating Mr. Eckhart and she wants to get together tomorrow. Is it bad that I'm not as excited as I was a year ago? Does that make me a bad person? Do you think I should ask her if he ever told her about the secret contained in Godly Sorrows?

No comments: