Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Nah, Lbaaa, Lovvvee

The other night the husband and I celebrated our friend's birthday by participating in some good ol' karaoke fun.  I have to admit, initially, I was a little apprehensive about this adventure.  Don't get me wrong I enjoy singing off key in a confined room with relative strangers..I even thrive off it.  No, I was fearful I would reveal more "Kate Learning Disabilities."  (I actually don't know why I call them "learning disabilities" because I didn't learn how to be disabled in these parts of my life...So, I guess I'll just call them "disabilities."  But, then I don't want to make light of people with real disabilities (always got to think of my readers) so let's call them Kate-isms.)   Anyway, what was the Kate-ism I was referring to?

I never hear lyrics in songs.  I could listen to my favorite band everyday, and then if I was asked to sing the lyrics of one of their songs - I couldn't do it. It would come out like this: "A Little Ditty About Jack and Diane, two Amer nah, nah heartLAND."* (I'm usually pretty good with the first three words and then awesome with the last syllable.  Anything outside of that is pretty bad.) 

So, you can imagine my fear with karaoke.  Yes, the words are there, and theoretically, this should remedy my "performance problem."  However, the screen actually screws me up.  I become completely distracted watching these magical words appear, and realizing some of my favorite songs aren't about whales in the summer or midgets dancing.  It's like I'm understanding a foreign language for the first time.  It's overwhelming, and to be honest, quite deflating that a homemade video of motor-cross during AC/DC's "Shook Me All Night Long" could reveal so much.  

Anyway, the night actually was a lot of fun, and I don't think anyone really noticed the incoherent sounds I was making.  I think they were more mesmerized by my "mime dancing."  Emily Madsen will know what this means....I sort of like to act out my songs.  I know, difficult to do when you think they are about whales in the summer, but I make it work.

* John Mellencamp is not one of my favorite singers.  Just an example folks.

2 comments:

Em said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Em said...

I would have greatly enjoyed being present on such a remarkable evening.

And yes, I know exactly which dance you mean... Is it sad I imagined you doing it, even before you mentioned you did?

More than anything, I'm happy to hear you kids are going out to play.