Wednesday, March 11, 2009

My Funk

Every once in awhile I get in what I like to call my "What in the Heck am I Doing With My Life" Funk. It basically happens any time my life slows down and I find myself hoping that John (name has been changed to protect the privacy of my husband) has run out of underwear so I can feel somewhat productive by doing laundry.

Today, unfortunately, I am in that funk, and I'm still about three days away from doing the laundry. (Nothing was going right today). It also didn't help that today during a job interview on the phone the owner of the company thought I was too qualified and smart for the job, and wanted to know why I was applying. I wanted to blurt out, "Who the hell knows? Can I have the crappy job or not?" (Don't worry I think I actually said something less abrasive like, "Gee, thanks.")

No, but seriously, I know I should have been flattered, but instead, his comment hit a nerve. The nerve of "What Am I Doing With My Life?" I know I'm over qualified for the glorified babysitting gig at the beach, but I also don't know what else to do. Do I want to go to school and pretend the Masters I receive will turn into a lifelong career? Do I want to get a nine to five job and deal with idiots that talk about synergizing and memos? (That's my office stereotype.) Or do I want to volunteer at the local soup kitchen and become Mother Teresa to all the homeless people in Santa Monica? The answer would be "no" to all the above. So, now we've come full circle to my funk. I feel like I'm literally sitting at a bus stop with no bus in sight.

Sorry, I know I usually try to be funny. It's the funk and it will pass. If anyone has any suggestions for a job let me know. I'm apparently quite qualified and smart.

No comments: