Monday, April 20, 2009

Crack Whore?

The other night, while enjoying a peaceful stroll along the beach, I encountered a crazy woman screaming profanities from inside her parked car. At first, I thought she was just another homeless person blowing off some steam, but as I got closer I realized it was a rather normal looking woman just sitting in her car having a fabulous breakdown/tantrum. I, never being one that was good at looking away from awkward situations, continued to stare as I walked past. Unfortunately, this was not a good time for my conspicuous habit to kick in. As I made eye contact with the crazy woman, she leaned over and rolled down her window (yes, by hand - which only made me more transfixed on her) and screamed, "What are you looking at, you crack whore?" Crack whore? Now that was a new one. I thought she would have gone with the obvious female dog reference or called me the mother of a trucker. But, a crack whore? What part of my Citizen jeans, Puma sneakers and Duke T-shirt screamed "Crack whore?"

Anyway, as I continued to walk home I thought about this lady and how good it must feel to be her. I mean seriously, how many of us walk around in our lives repressing and holding everything down? Wouldn't it feel good to just pull over next to a peaceful park and just let it all out? Wouldn't it feel good to roll your window down and attack unsuspecting people with strange insults like, "Dog Face" to really good looking people, or "Satan's Legion" to a group of moms and their kids? I just think it could be a really healthy exercise for a lot of us. And I also think crack could be another answer. I'm full of options.

1 comment:

Ru said...

So, I was in Portland with a friend, waiting to cross the street and trying not to stare at the two crackheads nearby. A third crackhead walks up - missing teeth, open sores, the whole shebang - looks at the other two, shakes his head, looks at me and my friend and says, "Damn crackheads." And then shuffles on his way.

Haven't thought about that in forever, so thanks for the reminder. :)