Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Thankful List

Well, Happy Belated Turkey Day to you all. I just returned from St. Jorge with the family and am full of thankfulness.

My family doesn't have many traditions, but one we try to do each year is to go around the table, after stuffing our faces, and stating what we are thankful for. Of course, this tradition causes ample moments of sarcasm, flashes of real emotion and memorable moments, such as, when my nephew once said, "Target and....Jesus." (I really think he covered it all) but, all in all, its one of my favorite things about Thanksgiving.

As I drove the lonely six hour drive to St. Jorge (Mr. Working Pants (name has been changed to protect the privacy of my husband) decided to spend his turkey day at the office) I tried to think of what I would say during our yearly "What are you thankful for" family exercise. Here's what I came up with:

1. This past year I was pulled over for making an illegal U-turn and in another incident I was pulled over for being on my cell phone. Both times I was let off with a warning. I'm thankful for that.

2. I'm thankful that one time at work this guy chopped his finger off and I had a feeling not to go around the corner. Had I gone around the corner I would have seen him holding a bloody fingerless hand. I'm thankful for that.

3. One time at the doctor's office this pregnant lady, who was sitting next to me, ripped a small fart. She tried to pretend she didn't do it, but I heard it. I definitely heard it. I'm not grateful for my supersonic ears, but I am grateful that that day I had a severe stuffed up nose. I'm really grateful for that cold.

4. I'm grateful Amanda Bynes was true to herself and retired at 24. She's The Man was really the high point for me. You can't do any better than that.

5. One day a homeless/crazy woman came into the restaurant and ordered a lot of alcohol, bacon, eggs and more alcohol. When it came time for her to pay the bill she slurred in a drunken voice, "Sh*t, I don't got money for this. This stuff is expensive." She then grabbed her bacon and walked out. I'm grateful I didn't have to be her waitress, and I'm glad I happened to be there when she called the restaurant a "government conspiracy to rip off poor people." It's funny, I've always thought that too.

Alright, there was family, husband, modern medicine, shelter etc. going through my mind, but I really think these five moments caused the most gratitude in my heart.

No comments: