Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Magnets and Legos...Awesome

Recently the husband and I have been given the assignment to teach Sunday school to the 13-14 year-olds in our church.  At first, I thought this was going to be a great opportunity to mold minds and change lives, butttt then we had our first class and now I'm not so sure.  First of all, and I say this with love, and absolute fear that my child might become this one day, but our kids, well, our kids are sort of nerds.  Take for example my little ice breaker of, "What are you interested in?" that turned into an all out struggle for me to not cock my head to the side and say, "Oh, I'm sorry to hear about that...."  What are they interested in?  Well, all four of them could agree they like to draw, and then it was revealed magnets and Legos are the coolest things.  Yep, you just did it...you cocked your head to the side, scrunched up your face and sighed, "Oh...my..."  Honestly, I don't know what to do.  First of all, at 14, I would have most likely beaten these kids up in school, or at church...at 14 I would not have discriminated.  Second of all, how do I mold these minds when every story I go to tell changes from, "One time when I was at a party, my friends..." to "One time when I was drawing an unicorn made out of magnets I said to my imaginary friend..."

I know as I write this I'm semi-cursing myself for the future of my child.  Currently, she's wearing skinny jeans, has never listened to anything but real music and is totally caught up on Grey's Anatomy...hopefully these building blocks will sustain her through life.

No comments: